Downloadable version of Resume: | Calendar |
Herbert W. Smith Jr.
|Box 2226||Rt. 4, Box 317 D|
|Buckhannon, WV 26201||Philippi, WV 26416|
|304-472-9520 ext 204||304-457-4283|
MPL Corporation (Buckhannon, WV)
Network Projects Manager (1994 - present)
Serves as networking design and implementation specialist. Responsible for database design, development, implementation and management for federal and state government clients as well as for commercial clients. Mr. Smith develops database applications and manages the development of applications by others. He is involved in writing proposals for commercial and government contracts, and serves as a consultant on hardware and software issues. Mr. Smith is also responsible for development and maintenance of hosted web sites, including e-commerce applications. In addition, he is actively involved in Lotus Notes development and administration. He has managed MPL’s Domino server since 1995 using every version of Notes since R3.5 through R6.5. He has installed and managed several Domino servers for clients. Mr. Smith has also developed many Domino based web sites and applications. One of the longest running applications is for Teaming to Win whose registration databases date to 1995.
Management Support Systems, Inc. (Philippi, WV)
President, Managing Director (1987 - present)
Founded Management Support Systems, Inc. in 1987. Since its inception, Mr. Smith has been responsible for all aspects of the operations of the organization. He serves as primary consultant on hardware, software, and management issues. In addition, he develops software, primarily for use in small business computing. Mr. Smith is responsible for management and administration of all contracts, and is actively involved in fostering economic development in the north-central region of West Virginia through donations of expertise and resources.
Alderson-Broaddus College (Philippi, WV)
Assistant Professor of Economics (1991 - 1993, 1977 - 1987)
Served as assistant professor of economics. Responsible for teaching courses in business and economics. Mr. Smith’s specialty areas included quantitative and computer-related courses, statistics, management science, applying computers to business, and small business solutions.
West Virginia Air Guard (Charleston, WV)
Pilot (1969 - 1991)
Served as pilot, instructor pilot, and evaluator pilot with over 6,000 flying hours. As a C130 aircraft commander, Mr. Smith accumulated experience in managing small groups and bringing team solutions to problems. He was responsible for aircraft valued in excess of twenty million dollars plus crew, passengers, and cargo, in a worldwide environment. Mr. Smith was also responsible, as formation lead aircraft commander, for conduct of multiple aircraft in a worldwide environment.
Current Positions & Board Positions
· President, Teaming to Win, Inc.
· Member, Barbour County Chamber of Commerce
· Member, Philippi Building Commission
· Member, Philippi Kiwanis Club
· Bachelor of Arts, Economics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1969
· Master of Arts, Economics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1972
· Graduate work in Economics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, 1972 - 1977
· Aeronautical Rating, Vance AFB, 1971
· Management Experience with small groups
· Economic Development Experience in North Central West Virginia
· Quantitative skills in Statistics and Management Science
· Knowledge of Computer Applications
· Comprehensive skills in Database Management
· Lotus Notes Developer and Administrator
· LAMP developer - Linux servers, Apache Web Server, MySQL databases, PHP scripting